Launching your product is one of the essential parts of your early product’s journey. It’s the moment when you introduce your product to the world, providing opportunities for paying customers and valuable consumer feedback.
A successful launch can generate buzz, attract new customers, and create a loyal customer base.
I’ve been a part of 10s of product launches in my time as an entrepreneur. While some have been more successful than others, each launch has helped me to refine my strategy for having a successful launch.
In this post, we’re going to discuss the fundamentals of how to launch your product successfully and give you a list of 100 sites to promote your product on.
Before we get started, if you’re just getting started with your business idea, I’d recommend you check out our guide to the 40 things to do before launching your startup first before reading this article.
Alternatively, if you already know where you want to launch your new business, we may have a dedicated article for you. I’d recommend you read this article alongside the featured article to make sure that you get the most out of your launch.
- How To Launch On Product Hunt
- How To Launch Your Product on Social Media
- How To Launch Your Product on Instagram
- How To Launch Your Product on Twitter (X)
- How To Launch Your Amazon Business
- How To Launch an Online Business
- How To Launch a Software Business (SaaS)
- How To Launch a Beverage Company
- How To Launch a Food Company
If you’re more of a watcher than a reader, Alex Cattoni’s video guide to successful product launches is a must-watch.
Why is a Launch Important?
A startup launch is one of the first opportunities for you to showcase your product to the world and create a buzz around it. It’s a chance to grab the attention of potential customers, investors, and the media and establish a strong foothold in the market.
A well-executed launch can help build a loyal customer base, generate revenue, and attract funding, which is essential for the long-term success of the startup.
I’ve found that product launches are the easiest way to brutally validate your idea. While I recommend that you do your market research before working on your product, your product launch will give you additional validation as you’ll be able to determine whether people are actually willing to pay for your solution.
I’ve launched multiple products, confident in the fact that people had told me they’d buy the product, only to realise that no one actually wanted to pay when the product was a reality.
While I’d now recommend getting people to pay upfront for your product before you start to work on it, it’s important to realise the amount of validation you get on your product if you achieve a successful launch.
Should I Launch My Startup Multiple Times?
Multiple launches can be an effective strategy for building momentum and generating sustained interest in your product.
One of the primary advantages of multiple launches is that they allow you to target different segments of your audience and tailor your messaging and marketing efforts accordingly. By doing so, you can maximize the impact of your launches and reach a broader audience over time.
Multiple launches also provide an opportunity to refine and improve your product based on customer feedback. By gathering insights from your audience, you can adjust and improve your product and launch strategy to increase your solution’s appeal and generate more interest.
How Should I Launch My Startup?
Before you launch your startup, there are a number of things to consider to ensure that you reach the most potential users.
Where Should I Launch My Startup?
There are a surprisingly large number of websites and platforms dedicated to hosting product launches.
I’ve had a lot of success with launching my products on Product Hunt and Twitter, however, it’s important to launch on sites that have an active community where your target audience is present.
If you’d like to learn more about launching on Product Hunt or Twitter, you can check out my complete guides below:
Below is a list of over 100 sites and platforms that have been hand-picked to help you ace your product launch.
- 10words – Discover new apps and startups in 10 words or less
- All My Faves – Easy promotion of people’s favourite businesses
- All Startups – Quick and easy startup submissions and promotion
- Alternative To – Compares similar software
- Alternative – Same as above
- App Advice – A list of the best apps on the app store
- App Rater – Hackernews-styled app discovery
- Appoid – List of the mobile applications
- Apps 400 – Mobile App Reviews
- Apps Listo – More mobile app reviews
- Apps Mamma – Mobile app reviews for apps targetted at children
- AppsThunder – Mobile app reviews
- Awesome Indie – A list of trending websites and products
- Beta Bound – Announce that your site is open for beta testing
- Beta Page – A large list of products that have been recently released
- BetaList – A list of startups made by an indiehacker
- Broadwise – An online forum for discussing products
- Capterra – Online reviews and testimonials for your site
- Crazy About Startups – Online discussion forum about creating a startup and sharing progress
- CrozDesk – Software listings
- CtrlAlt.cc – Free software listings with weekly recommendations for its users
- eBool – Product directory with over 5,000 products already listed emojis
- F6S – A collection of startup opportunities and launches
- Fiddy – A simple-to-use project directory
- G2 Crowd – A massive list of products with a decent user base
- Geek Wire – A massive list of startups
- Get App – A categorised list of products
- Getworm – An email list of the latest startups
- GrowthBoosters – A large list of products, with trending features and other solutions to help you grow your product
- Haro – Connect with journalists to promote your product launch
- Hacker News – A great resource to get your application in front of millions of people
- Hackerspad – List of products (Costs $69)
- Inc 42 – A list of tech news. Share your story about how you came up and built your product idea and you might get featured
- Indie Hackers – One of the largest solo entrepreneurial forums on the web!
- Killer Startups – Spotlight stories on new tech startups. This promotional tool has been used to promote large tech products, such as Uber.
- KitDB – A list of products targetted to specific categories and jobs
- Land-book – A simple website showing off startup ideas
- Launch List – Get your startup in front of over 1,000 potential clients for $49
- Launched – A large collection of startups that have just recently launched
- Launching Next – A list of over 34,000 startups
- Next Big Product – A free review of your software product
- Paggu – Guest post on this blog to receive free promotion
- Postmake – A large and well-styled app directory
- Product Hunt – One of the largest product launch sites on the web
- Projectium Network – A large database of product releases
- Robingood – A list of free software products (or products with free plans) that help with online working
- SaaSHub – A list of SaaS products providing reviews and product alternatives
- Saijo’s Tools List – A massive list of tools that solves particular problems
- Show HN – A great place to show off your product to thousands of people
- Side Projectors – A massive list of side projects
- SnapMunk – A relatively new startup directory
- Springwise – Get seen by over 10,000 potential investors
- Starter Story – A blog about how startup creators founded their startups
- Startup Base – A community of makers who are launching their products
- Startup Beat – Lightning pitches for new startups
- Startup Buffer – Get your startup featured on the front page of this app
- Startup Collections – Categorised startup lists
- Startup Ranking – Promote your startup and let it be ranked in comparison to your competitors
- Startup Stash – A massive directory of startups
- Startup Tabs – A startup search engine
- Startup Tracker – A tool for discovering and tracking startup success stories
- Startups List – A collection of startups ranked from different locations in the world
- Tech Map – Promote your startup within a targetted physical location
- Tech Pluto – A large directory of tech startups and news
- The iPhone Mom – A large list of mobile apps designed for kids
- Web App Rater – A paid service that provides online reviews for your webapp
- Website Hunt – A product directory and email newsletter with over 1,200 subscribers
There are also a number of great communities on Reddit that can provide reviews and give your product outreach.
The list below contains some great generic startup communities to promote your startup in.
Remember that it’s also important to identify and post in communities that are relevant to your target audience, as this will provide you with the most traction.
If you are going to post in any of these communities, make sure you follow their rules and guidelines
- /r/IndieBiz – https://www.reddit.com/r/indiebiz/
7 Tips For a Successful Product Launch
To make sure your product launch hits the mark and captures the attention of your target audience, you need a well-thought-out strategy.
Let’s dive into my 7 tips for a successful product launch.
Tip 1: Organize a Pre-Launch Giveaway
One effective way to create buzz and anticipation around your new product is to host a pre-launch giveaway or contest a few weeks or months before your official launch date.
By engaging your audience with a fun and unique competition, you can build excitement and even generate user-generated content. Social media platforms like TikTok and Instagram are excellent avenues for running contests that have the potential to go viral.
Tip 2: Use SEO To Increase Visibility
Search engine optimization (SEO) plays a vital role in your product launch.
A well-optimized website can serve as a steady source of traffic to showcase your new offering. Focus on optimizing keywords, meta descriptions, and the introductory paragraphs of your content.
Make sure your website and product’s purpose are crystal clear to both users and search engines.
Tip 3: Create Shareable Content
Consistency in content creation is key to successful digital marketing.
Invest your time in crafting high-quality blog posts that address topics relevant to your industry. Ensure that your content directly addresses user queries and provides valuable information.
Don’t forget to encourage users to share your content, which can help drive regular traffic to your site.
Tip 4: Create a Recommendation System
Leverage the power of word-of-mouth marketing by implementing a recommendation system.
Encourage satisfied customers to recommend your product to friends and family by offering incentives such as discounts, free shipping, or cashback. This tactic, popularized by companies like Uber and Airbnb, can lead to organic growth through referrals.
Tip 5: Build Relationships with Influencers
Influencers can significantly impact your product’s success by leveraging their loyal followers. Build relationships with influencers in your industry by organizing events or sending them product samples.
Keep in mind that influencers value authenticity, so choose influencers who genuinely align with your brand and product.
Tip 6: Prioritize Customer Service
Exceptional customer service is a non-negotiable aspect of a successful product launch.
Ensure your team members are patient and empathetic, offering customers assistance 24/7. Customer service representatives serve as brand ambassadors, shaping customer perception and satisfaction.
Tip 7: Embrace Email Marketing
Email marketing remains a potent tool for reaching your audience effectively.
Start by building a database of your clients, gathering valuable information such as demographics and past purchases. Craft highly personalized email messages to make recipients feel special and valued.
Should I Delay My Product Launch?
To gain insights into when and why it may be necessary to postpone a product launch, consider the following things:
- Product readiness: If your product is not fully prepared and requires adjustments to deliver the best possible customer experience, it is wise to reconsider the launch timeline.
- Customer satisfaction: Before promoting a new product, it is crucial to evaluate the satisfaction levels of your current customers with your existing product offerings. If there are any issues or concerns affecting their experience, it may be prudent to address and resolve them before diverting attention to a new launch.
- External circumstances: In certain situations, external factors such as international, national, state, or local events can significantly impact your audience’s priorities and shift their focus away from your product launch.
What’s Important When Launching A Product?
To summarise, a successful product launch requires careful consideration of various factors, including timing, pricing, packaging, product name, promotion, target market, competition, testing, reviews, and a strategic and flexible marketing approach. Here’s a rewritten version:
- Timing: Ensure the launch timing aligns with macro and micro-economic factors to maximize market receptiveness.
- Pricing: Set a competitive and acceptable price that resonates with consumers and provides value for their investment.
- Packaging: Design attractive packaging that captures attention and conveys the essence of the product.
- Product Name: Choose a simple and original name that reflects the product’s unique selling proposition and is memorable to consumers.
- Promotion: Employ effective marketing channels to reach and engage the target audience, creating awareness and generating interest.
- Target Market: Conduct thorough market research to identify and understand the target market’s needs, preferences, and behaviour.
- Competition: Continuously monitor the competitive landscape to stay informed and ensure your product stands out among competitors.
- Testing: Conduct rigorous testing phases to refine and improve the product based on feedback, ensuring its readiness for the market.
- Reviews: Seek feedback and reviews from early adopters and customers to gather valuable insights and make necessary product enhancements.
- Flexible Marketing Approach: Employ a strategic and adaptable marketing strategy that allows for adjustments based on market dynamics and customer feedback, maximizing the chances of success.
- A successful product launch is a critical milestone in the early stages of your product’s journey. It provides opportunities to acquire paying customers and gather valuable feedback.
- A well-executed product launch can generate excitement, attract new customers, and establish a loyal customer base.
- Multiple product launches can be effective in building momentum and sustaining interest in your product. Tailor your messaging and marketing efforts for different audience segments.
- Consider SEO optimization, shareable content, recommendation systems, influencer relationships, exceptional customer service, and email marketing as essential components of your product launch strategy.
- Carefully evaluate whether to delay your product launch based on product readiness, customer satisfaction, and external circumstances.
These 100 communities where you can launch your product were hand-picked at the time of writing to ensure that the communities were active. If you have any recommendations for new product directories or have noticed a broken link, please Contact Us so that we can keep this list up to date.
If you’re looking to launch your product soon, check out our blog post on the 40 things that you need to do before launching your product. Alternatively, you might be interested in our debunking of the top 10 business myths.